Since 2013, the National Association of REALTORS® has been writing the Home Buyers and Sellers Generational Trends Report. This report provides insights into differences and similarities across generations of home buyers and home sellers.
- At 35 percent, buyers 35 years and younger continue to be the largest generational group of home buyers with a median age of 30 years old.
- First-time buyers made up 32 percent of all home buyers, down from 33 percent last year.
- Sixty-seven percent of buyers 35 years and younger were first-time buyers, followed by buyers 36 to 50 years at 26 percent.
- The most common type of home purchased continues to be the detached single-family home, which made up 83 percent of all homes purchased.
- Eighty-nine percent of Millennials, 87 percent of Gen X buyers, and 85 percent of Younger Boomers purchased their home through an agent.
Visit NAR's page to download the full Home Buyer and Seller Generational Trends Report.