Austin Board of REALTORS® releases June 2010 real estate statistics
Please log in to view market reports.
The volume of Austin area home sales in June 2010 was 1,987, down four percent from the same month in 2009. The median price of real estate in Austin increased four percent from June 2009 to $208,750 for June 2010.
“I think this report shows there is life for Austin real estate after tax credits,” said John Horton, Chairman of the Austin Board of REALTORS®. “Sales volume was down only four percent compared to June 2009, which was last summer’s peak month. In addition, the average time it takes to sell a home in Austin decreased for the sixth month in a row. Both of these factors point to long-term stability for our market.”
Despite a decrease in the volume of homes sold in June 2010, the total dollar volume of real estate sold increased six percent compared to June 2009, primarily due to increased demand for properties in higher price ranges.
Chairman Horton explained, “The federal tax credits were most successful in getting first-time homebuyers into the real estate market, with most purchasing ‘entry-level’ homes. This helped existing homeowners purchase ‘move up’ homes, which in turn helped spur activity in higher price ranges.”
In June 2010, homes remained on the market an average of 70 days, a 14 percent decrease from the same month in 2009. In the same time period, pending sales decreased 23 percent to 1,610; new listings increased two percent to 3,287; and active listings increased by 16 percent to 11,749.
June 2010 Statistics
- $553,882,211 – Total dollar volume of single-family properties sold, a six percent increase from June 2009.
- $208,750 – Median price for single-family homes, a four percent increase from June 2009.
- 1,987 – Single-family homes sold, a four percent decrease from June 2009.
- 70 – Days on market, a 14 percent decrease from June 2009.
- 11,749 – Active single-family home listings on the market, a 16 percent increase from June 2009.
- 1,610 – Pending sales for single-family homes, down 23 percent from June 2009.
The Austin Board of REALTORS® is a non-profit, voluntary organization representing more than 8,000 licensed REALTORS® in Central Texas. For more information, please contact Angela Brutsché at 512-454-7636.