Austin Board of REALTORS® Releases November 2011 Real Estate Statistics
Please log in to view market reports.
Judith Bundschuh, Chairman of the Austin Board of REALTORS®, commented, “For the sixth month in a row, the volume of home sales in Austin has outpaced 2010 and the inventory of available homes has decreased.”
Austin-area homes spent an average of 83 days on the market in November 2011, seven days less than the same month of the prior year. Compared to November 2010, the Austin market also featured the same number of new listings, 18 percent fewer active listings and 15 percent more pending sales in November 2011.
In November 2011, the Austin market had 4.5 months of inventory, 1.4 months less than November 2010 and the lowest figure reported since the organization began tracking the statistic in January 2009.
Chairman Bundschuh continued, “As we approach the end of the year, sellers should be encouraged that demand and prices are strong. Buyers should know the decrease in inventory combined with increased demand could mean they will encounter more competition for properties.”
The following sections describe trends in other sectors of the Austin real estate market.
Townhouses & Condominiums
The volume of townhouses and condominiums (condos) purchased in the Austin area in November 2011 was 123, which is 21 percent more than November 2010. In the same time period, the median price for condos was $157,500, one percent more than November 2010. When compared to the same month of the prior year, these properties spent 12 percent longer on the market, or an average of 114 days.
In November 2011, 998 properties were leased in Austin, which is nine percent less than November 2010. The median price for Austin-area leases was $1,250, four percent higher than the same month of the prior year.
November 2011 Statistics
- 1,358 – Single-family homes sold, 11 percent more than November 2010.
- $189,300 – Median price for single-family homes, three percent more than November 2010.
- 83 – Average number of days that single-family homes spent on the market, seven days less than November 2010.
- 1,826 – New single-family home listings on the market, unchanged from November 2010.
- 7,173 – Active single-family home listings on the market, 18 percent less than November 2010.
- 1,448 – Pending sales for single-family homes, 15 percent more than November 2010.
- 4.5 – Months of inventory* of single-family homes, 1.4 months less than November 2010.
- $341,996,004 – Total dollar volume of single-family properties sold, 12 percent more than November 2010.
* The inventory of homes for a market can be measured in months, which is defined as the number of active listings divided by the average sales per month of the prior 12 months. The Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University cites that 6.5 months of inventory represents a market in which supply and demand for homes is balanced.
The Austin Board of REALTORS® is a non-profit, voluntary organization representing more than 8,500 licensed REALTORS® in Central Texas. Visit AustinHomeSearch.com, a public resource on Austin real estate, for the latest news on the local housing market. For more information, please contact Angela Brutsché at 512-454-7636.